Dangers to your pet at home


Pet owners should be especially careful when leaving their pets at home. Despite all the love and care, it’s not uncommon for a pet to be injured or even die a completely ridiculous death. No one thinks about the fact that a seemingly safe home can actually pose a threat to a beloved pet.


Few owners think about how dangerous wiring can be for pets. Although the mains voltage is relatively low, no dangerous area should be left unrepaired. Wires should also be hidden or secured so pets can’t reach them. Veterinarians warn: often the consequences of electrocution remain unnoticed. Only on examination it turns out that the cat or dog has a burned mouth. Electrical wires are extremely dangerous for pets – cases with lethal outcome are not uncommon. Cats owners should be especially careful.

Household items

Various household items – tablecloths, irons, stoves and more – can also be potential killers for pets. The cat sees the dangling edge of a lace tablecloth and pulls on it. And it turns out that there is a heavy iron on the table, which in two seconds fell on the head of the unfortunate animal. Dogs are not far behind in this area.

Stoves that retain heat for long periods of time are also dangerous. Cats and dogs often burn their paws on them. Another attack is owners who don’t clean the kitchen in the evening. A cat can climb up to get the food left on the stove and accidentally turn on the burner. More than one fire has been triggered in this way, in which not only pets but also people have been hurt.

Another danger is thread and needles. Cats are often attracted to them: the animal first pulls the thread, and a few seconds later an injury occurs. Four-legged animals with needles in their mouths often end up in the veterinary clinic.

Household chemicals

Often our little brothers become victims of careless owners who leave open a package of laundry detergent. Sometimes it happens and even worse – all kinds of means for the poisoning of domestic parasites are right under the pet’s nose. Smelling and rustling packaging always attracts naive animals. And that is why poisoning and allergies are not uncommon in veterinary practice.


To prevent a pet from falling, rag netting won’t be enough. In cats the hunter instinct slumbers, and any external signal – a bird or a gnat – can wake it up. In order not to let the irretrievable happen, you should take care of a thick net. And not just for those who live high up. Cats falling from the second or third floor often break more bones than those falling from even higher heights.

Plastic windows.

Pet owners have been warned many times by veterinarians, but they never seem to learn to pay attention. Plastic windows that open vertically are a death trap for cats. The animal pokes its head through the crack and is no longer able to get out. With each attempt the cat gets more and more squeezed between the sashes. The longer the pet is in this trap, the more terrible the consequences. So once again: in no case should you leave windows open vertically if there is a cat at home.


Draught .

Dangerous for any pets. The fact is that a person does not feel the cold when he puts the windows on micro ventilation. However, the cold air goes downstairs. The pet can instantly get pneumonia.


Lots of flowers can be dangerous to animals. Diffenbachia, aloe, any type of bulbous plants are not a complete list. Lilies, for example, are extremely dangerous to cats. The pollen is especially toxic to animals. However, it is also dangerous to other pets, not just cats. Some plant parts are especially toxic to rodents.

Flea collars.

It seems that these items are made specifically for animals, what can be dangerous in them? But it’s not that simple. If the composition of such a collar or anti-flea drops contains permitrin, it is absolutely not suitable for cats. Dogs can use it, but for the feline family this substance is poisonous.


Toys for animals

Some pets like to tear the toy they bought for fun. But in veterinary practice there are also cases: a dog has chewed apart an object made of foam, and swallowed the pieces. Under the influence of gastric juice they hardened. The animal had to be operated. Therefore, such toys are dangerous for pets, especially dogs.