The article discusses the requirements for size and shape, bars, location in the room, and popular models.
What to consider when choosing a cage for a cockatoo parrot?
- The size of the bird’s apartment. For such large birds, there is no cage that is too spacious. The larger the size of the apartment you choose, the better. Of course, a Moluccan cockatoo requires a much larger cage than a small Goffin cockatoo. The basic rule is that the parrot should be free to spread its wings and move freely inside.
- Time spent in the cage. The more time a cockatoo spends cooped up, the larger it needs its own dwelling. And vice versa, if the parrot only eats and sleeps in the house, the requirements for the size of its apartment are much lower.
- Thickness of bars. A very important characteristic, taking into account the powerful beaks of these beautiful birds. The thickness should ideally be 3-4 mm.
- Sturdy, rigidly fixed feeders. With their enormous strength, poults should not be able to chew them up or knock them over. Iron bowls or bowls made of sturdy plastic/acrylic are best.
- Retractable tray. You will appreciate this cleaning convenience from the very first days the bird is in your room. Better if the tray itself is separated from the living area by a grid, preventing the parrot from coming into contact with droppings and food debris on the bottom.
- Wheels for mobility. An aviary for a cockatoo has considerable weight, so these elements for the possibility of movement will be very useful.
- Debris protection. Most large pets are real “pigs in feathers”. It will not be possible to completely get rid of husks, pieces of juicy berries or fruit around the bird’s dwelling. But plexiglass panels or special “aprons” on all sides of the dwelling will help to minimize the amount of such garbage.
- Murders. Usually come with the lattice house itself, but they are smoothly polished and don’t always fit the diameter of the bird’s paws. Replace them with natural poles with bark.
- Open top. An added perk of the house would be the ability to put a perch for your pet to walk on outside the cage. Having an area on top will not only decorate the interior, but also give the feathered friend an additional play area.
What accessories you need in the cage
A minimum of 2 to 3 jokers. Basic wooden ones with bark, and additional rope or mineral ones. Optimal diameter is 4-5 cm, but thinner and thicker ones are desirable to distribute the load on the paws.
There should be at least 3 bowls, one of which is used as a drinker.
Help to eliminate boredom, develop mentally and physically, lack of them can cause some problems like self-pecking. There must be at least 3-4 toys, and forage toys must be among them.
Help present an unloved fruit or vegetable in a new “light”. It is more likely that the parrot will try an unfamiliar food in an interesting form of presentation than just from a bowl.
Sepia, Mineral Stones
A source of calcium and beneficial minerals.
If the crested pet is not in the sun, not sunbathing, it will need a special ultraviolet lamp. Please note, not any lamp will do! In the Russian market there are two manufacturers who make lamps directly for birds: Arcadia and Bird Systems.
Helps regulate the light of the day. Bird should be awake for 10-14 hours depending on time of year; the rest of the time we need to sleep and rest. In bright light, the bird will not sleep, so the cape creates the required half-darkness. If the cycle is disrupted, behavioral problems and health problems may arise.
Where to place the aviary
- Choose a room where you are most often on your own.
- Do not place near electric appliances or wires.
- If you place near a window, make sure there are no drafts and the bird has opportunities to escape to shade from the sun’s rays.
- The kitchen is not a place for a parrot. It is a high-risk area: high temperatures, boiling water.